- 2 Cornish hens, halved and backbones removed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter or margarine, melted
- squeeze of lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
RED WINE SAUCE
- backbone from birds
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetables oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) red grapes, seeded and chopped
- ¾ cup (185 ml) chicken stock
- ½ cup (125 ml) dry fruit red wine
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) thyme
- ½ small bay leaf
- 8 red grapes, halved and seeded
- 8 seedless green grapes, halved
- 2 tsp (10 ml) butter
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Dijon mustard
how to cook Cornish hen recipe
- Brush Cornish hens with melted butter and lemon juice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To Prepare Sauce: Brown backbone in oil. Saute onion and grapes lightly until light brown in color.
- Add chicken stock, wine, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Simmer to reduce to 2/3 cup (165 ml). Strain stock. Cover. chill.
- Soften red and green grape halves in butter. Stir in reserved stock. Cook gently till reduce and slightly thickened. Whisk in mustard.
- To Prepare Cornish Hens: Cook under a hot broiler skin side down for 4 to 5 minutes, brushing frequently with remaining butter and lemon juice.
- Turn, baste and broil a further 6 minutes. Longer time may be required depending on size of bird. Test with a skewer. Juices will run clear when cooked.
Serve the Cornish hens with a little sauce. Serve remaining sauce separately.